The Fold

The Fold

You may have noticed the fold in the navigation banner of this website, or on a photo encouraging you to discover the stories behind our projects, or to learn more about the people making Wilson Butler Architects who we are.

This fold has a technical name, it is called a chamfer, and it is a term based in carpentry. This term has also been appropriated by modern technology, and is a key element in a main tool of the architect, autoCAD.


1. in carpentry, cut away (a right-angled edge or corner) to make a symmetrical sloping edge.


noun: chamfer; plural noun: chamfers

2. a symmetrical sloping surface at an edge or corner.

We honor this term in our branding – it speaks to who we are. We are architects, carpenters, innovators, and dreamers who cut away through the noise, through the challenges and problems to create the right solutions for our clients and design completely unique experiences for all.

But Why Have Just One Meaning?

The fold, or chamfer, you see is also a page fold. So we invite you to turn the page – to the next set of drawings, or to the next chapter in the story. Our story helps discover the next chapter to your story, our clients. It is part of who we are and behind all that we do, helping our clients get to the next chapter.